Moving to a new home is an exciting experience, albeit a very stressful one. However, you can keep things calm and controlled by using this in depth checklist to ensure everything is covered, allowing you can unpack those boxes in peace once you arrive.
We’ve covered everything, from the day you are handed the keys to changing your address on a range of important documents such as drivers license, vehicle registration and bank or building society, which are commonly forgotten about in the run up to the move (and for a good few months afterwards). Take a look and tick the tasks off as you go:
4-6 weeks before moving day
- Confirm your moving date and book your Mobile Self Storage pods, which are delivered to your front door and allow you to load at your own convenience. We will then pick the pod up and take it to our secure storage facility, ready for being redelivered to your new address. We can even unload your possessions for you!
- Start packing small, lesser-used items such as books, DVDs and ornaments and have a clear out of the house and loft space.
- Check that your home insurance covers your new home on the day of moving.
- Go shopping for any furniture you might need for your new home to ensure it is ready and delivered at least a day after you have moved in.
- If you are moving your children to a new school ensure their place at the school has been confirmed, as well as their start date.
1-2 weeks before moving day
- Notify your energy companies that you are leaving them and give them the date. Ask for a meter reading the day you leave the property so you can ensure you only pay for what you have used. It’s also the perfect opportunity to shop around for a cheaper supplier.
- Unregister from your doctor or dentist if you are moving far away.
- If you have milk or a newspaper delivered cancel these services from the date of your move.
- Arrange for someone to look after children or pets on the day of the move.
- Confirm the time you intend to collect your keys with the estate agent.
- Check for any parking restrictions near your home and apply for a permit if necessary.
2-3 days before moving day
- Send off your driving license to change your address – pick up a form from your local post office.
- Arrange to have your post forwarded onto your new address: there is usually a fee for this.
- Defrost the freezer and eat anything that can’t be kept defrosted and left.
- Send out new address cards to friends and family. You don’t want to miss out on those Christmas cards.
- Do all clothes washing.
- Pack a necessities bag – make use of one of your empty holiday suitcases – including a change of clothes for everyone, toilet roll, tooth brushes and toothpaste, tools such as screwdrivers and hammers, light bulbs, spare cash, cleaning wipes and any valuable items you want to know are in a safe place.
1-2 days before moving day
- Contact directly or send off forms to the following companies to change your address:
Bank or building society – go into the building or phone in.
DVLA – send off your V5 form with change of address section filled out.
Council tax – call and notify them of your new address.
Water – call and notify them of your new address.
Mobile phone network – call and notify them of your new address.
Broadband and telephone – call and notify them of your new address.
Clubcards and membership cards – call and notify them of your new address.
Car insurance – call and notify them of your new address.
- Place butter, cheese, milk etc in a cool bag if there are any items left in the fridge.
- Research takeaways in the area and choose something for dinner for the night you move – you’re going to be hungry and won’t want to cook!